Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why not me - redacted

"All you have to do is write one true sentence.
Write the truest sentence you know." -
Ernest Hemingway
__
I bought a silly wireless remote thermometer for the boat the other day. Now I can tell whether it's cold outside when it's warm inside, and vice versa. Knowing stuff like that intrigues me.
__
Novelist and short story author Flannery O'Connor once explained that she often used grotesque characters and exaggerated situations in her fiction to make sure the reader didn't miss the point.
__

Sometimes I wonder if ya'll must think my typical day includes falling off the boat and breaking a toe twice every day, routinely spearing and slicing myself with sharp metal objects, almost suffering horrific car crashes every Sunday on the way to church, shocking myself silly with electricity, or whether I stagger around in wet clothes all week because my boat leaks ... and if stuff might blow up real good as a result of doing my own propane plumbing from memory.

---
[me omitted]

Me me me. Let me post again about what me felt like when me felt such and such because this thing happened to me. But the only thing important about me is that me gets pushed aside and ultimately ignored ... no matter me what it feels like at the time.

Seems like me always has a way of getting in the way of what matters most ... and tripping me up with an unwelcomed distraction.

1 comment:

o.r.p. said...

Ok, this might be outta line, but you are my friend and I love you so I'm gonna say it.

The real Papa wouldn't get pushed aside so much if you'd pick someone ON PURPOSE.. someone who would know how to appreciate you. Just because someone is cute and they seem to fall into your lap doesn't mean they deserve to be part of your life.

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. ;-)
--b