Saturday, January 06, 2007

just me, personally

My PH in Africa got a little sore with me because I didn't bring along a high-tech digital camera, apparently like other clients do, to take lots of pictures in the Selous. All I took with me was a pocket-sized Nikon 35mm that could easily be confused with a disposable point n' shoot.

Not sure why it bugged him so much nor whether he'd understand the reasons why a "professional photographer" wouldn't take along the best camera he could find.

One of my favorite all-time quotes comes from David Lynch's movie Lost Highway. Not far into the film, while police are on the scene investigating the arrival of a mysterious VHS tape on the doorstep of a suburban couple's home, one of the detectives asks Bill Pullman, "Do you own a video camera?"

Pullman answers uneasily, "I like to remember things my own way."

That's what it comes down to, and the reason I wasn't burning up megapixels during my stay. I've seen video shot during my hunt and what I saw on the screen wasn't in any way at all like what happened. And nothing like what I remember.

----

Several great quotes from Lost Highway. Here's just a few:

"This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off. "

Fred Madison: [angrily into the phone] How did you get inside my house?
Mystery Man: You invited me. It is not my custom to go where I am not wanted.

Fred Madison: I had a dream about you last night.
Renee Madison: Yeah? What was it about?
Fred Madison: You were in the house, calling my name, but I couldn't find you. Then there you were ... but it wasn't you. It looked like you, but it wasn't.

Pete Dayton: I want you.
Alice Wakefield: You'll ... never ... have me.

Pete Dayton: What's going on?
Mystery Man: It's been a pleasure talking to you.

Al: Do you know what I think?
Fred: What is it? What is it that you think?
Al: There is no such thing as a bad coincidence.

No comments: