Tuesday, September 23, 2008

For Geeks Only

(technology)

(a) I noticed Dell has a new driver available for my sound card that's supposed to address "issues" with Windows Media Player 11, but I chose not to install it. I've learned- the HARD way, usually by waking up to a non-functioning sound card courtesy of Windows' thoughtful "update while U sleep" feature- if it works it ain't broken, so don't touch it.

(b) Disregarded (a) and installed the latest version of PicLens from Cool Iris.

(c) Finally figured out how to un-install Sony's Sound Forge 9 demo (Audacity is free).

(d) Finally installed LanguageNow!'s "Learn Chinese Now!" I found this disc at Target for a couple of bucks, and figured Why Not ... my Mandarin needs some polishing. Nee how mah?

(e) Still looking: I can't find a DVD recorder capable of recording true anamorphic 16x9 footage without "squeezing" the image. Is this a big problem? No, but finding the solution is.

(f) Ever wondered how to wire a boat's electrical system that's got two alternators and three batteries? Nearly leaped for joy after finding this at BoatFix.com:


(g) I hate Vista's power-saver feature: it turns off the audio mixer every time my notebook goes to sleep. Which means there's no sound, until you click the mixer open and re-enable all the applications. Looked for a way to disable this nifty unwanted aggravation, but no success so far.