Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Soul Sacrifice: Calvinism vs Christ (part 1)

Three weeks and two days ago tonight I was climbing aboard Calypso when my left knee suddenly seized and went Pop! like a firecracker.  A hundred feet away you could have heard it and I knew right away something significantly bad had happened.

For the next 3 days I literally couldn't walk; my knee was no more than a wet rope under my thigh.  Searching online for my symptoms suggested an ACL tear; ACL tears are serious business and will not heal without surgery, which includes weeks of crutches, months of recuperation and up to a year of physical therapy and rehabilitation.

Even with arthoscopic surgery the prognosis for complete recovery is nowhere near 100% (especially at my age).  So I wasn't surprised when my doctor said I should get an MRI right away.  

But I live on a boat about the size of a bathtub and the prospect of not walking again, at least without a severe limp, much less ever running ... asserted itself as a very real proposition.

We'll talk about pain in another minute.

Close yourself into a space about the size of a minivan for three days' worth of staring at the walls and ceiling as often as you like.  You'll have no trouble making a long list of all the bold new things you find about about yourself.  

And about your faith, too.