Friday, September 19, 2008

Pseudo-Assurance: grant me my wishes

Why do Bad Things happen to believers?

If we're saved, and God loves us, then why does he allow bad things to blow up our lives?

But if we're saved and trust Christ, why do we believe we're immune from having bad things happen?  Is the idea that "Bad Things don't happen to Saved People- unless they've been bad" scriptural?  

--   --   --

I don't believe Christ died on the cross to create a prosperity or "well-being" gospel.  Nor did he preach "I have come that they may have life, and enjoy it to the full" nor "If a man remains in me and I in him, he will live on Easy Street" nor "How easy it is for the rich to enter the kindgom of God!"

Kinda makes you wonder about the difference between "being blessed" and being rich.

--   --   --

Then why do bad things happen ... most often when we least expect it?

I don't know... but I do know Jesus was not Genie Christ on a cross.

When bad things happen in my life, I try to keep reminding myself that my faith is in Christ and I'm here to serve him ... and that he didn't die on the cross to serve me and grant all my wishes.


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- Romans 8:28