Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mushmouth Middle Road Universal Church of Context

The things you hear in the background, just by listening:

-When it comes to big issues like religion, what's true for you might not be true for me.

-So much about faith comes down to a matter of interpretation and personal opinion. It's up to each person to decide what's right ... and try to live according to the parts they believe.

-Everybody's situation is different and no one person or religion can point to a single solution that everybody's comfortable with.

-I don't want to alienate or offend anybody by sharing something as private as my faith. Besides, people might think I'm a kook.

Christ didn't keep his faith private: he was crucified and resurrected from the dead to save us ... because why? Because each person- except him- was born in the same situation as everybody else: it's called sin.

Jesus didn't worry much about mincing words and softening scripture to keep the flock happy, nor did he stop doing miracles because he was concerned people wouldn't like him.

And I doubt he's much afraid of folks who call his followers kooks and nut jobs, either.



The wicked man flees though no one pursues,
but the righteous are as bold as a lion.
- Proverbs 28:1


When I called, you answered me;
you made me bold and stouthearted.
- Psalm 138:3

Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.
- Acts 4:29