Monday, September 22, 2008

Separation of Church and Status

I've heard people say "I could never feel comfortable in a megachurch because I wouldn't know anybody ... and I have lots of friends at my church."

That's different than saying, "My friends go to my church" because we often think of "friends at church" and "friends at work" as two separate, distinct groups ... and be honest, there's generally not much mixing between the two.

Which makes me wonder, Why?


Because evangelical Christians are encouraged to share the Gospel with others, the Baylor researchers found that more than half of megachurch members said they shared their faith with strangers in the past month and more than 80 percent witness to friends -- far more than those who attend small churches.

Researchers say that probably explains why four of 10 megachurch members say that at least half of their friends attend those congregations.

-source