Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hating Paul, Loving Paul

Last week I met a 30-something man who'd dropped out of seminary, and is currently pursuing a PhD in Eastern Philosophy.

I asked him why he'd become disillusioned.

He told me he felt the apostle Paul had subverted Christ's message, and substituted Rules and Legalisms for Love and Forgiveness.  I asked him to give me an example so I could see for myself; he said, "It's my impression."

--   --   --

Years, many years ago, I had the same impression of Paul.

But re-reading his letters now, Paul's love, compassion and total conviction about Christ is undeniable.

--   --   --

What did I do?

I told this man I'd felt the same way ... until I'd re-read Paul's letters to see what he said, instead of reading to confirm what expected he'd said.