Monday, July 03, 2006

Most Embarrassing Moments

I'm guessing most guys don't wanna admit it, but there've been times in-between doing "Guy Stuff" ... swapping out cylinder heads on the truck, trying to find out how much trash will fit in a single plastic kitchen bag, blowing up stuff with M-80s (have you tried the new M-1000s?) or watching bowl game re-runs on ESPN, when we've done stuff we're ashamed to admit, even to ourselves.

That includes getting real gushy and romantic, and then trying to write poems ... we've all done it.

Maybe writing poems isn't as bad as it sounds; so long as it's not done very often. Here's one of my worst offenses from those days ... I hope we can still be friends.

still

After the storm we walked down the hill
and crossed the field asleep with poppies

you pressed their heads against your cheek
and said you were enchanted in the moon's silver fire

beside the river we caught stars in our hands
and tossed each one with a wish into the current

and the glow lingered for a moment
flickering among the pebbles you said

stay you said your secrets belonged to me

and alone beneath the starless night
I believed every word.

18 October 1998

1 comment:

o.r.p. said...

:) I remember those days
Poetry is fine. Doe-in-Heat is where I draw the line. LOL ;)

--b