Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Time Flies


Some recent purchases that stick in my mind:

The Last Time I Went To A Movie: 4 years ago
Walked out of 2002's Insomnia. Dreadfully dreadful, even without comparing it to the excellent original. Being directed by the guy who did Memento didn't help.

Prior to that, I'd worked 2 years for Lucas Films doing exhibitor evaluations (they're the guys who check movie prints for stuff like scratches, bad splices, uniform color and print quality, THX sound presentation, and projector focus, brightness & clarity) and ended up being spoiled by seeing movies for free.

I'd been walking out of 3 of every 4 movies I'd paid for, and got tired of volunteering to be ripped off. Also I hated paying four bucks for popcorn, two bucks for a Diet Coke and feeling uggy after eating 3 refills.

Now I do Netflix, and never looked back.

The Last CD I Bought: 3 years ago
The Allman Brothers Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival
I fretted and frowned for almost two weeks before finally bucking up and handing over the change for this two-disc set at Circuit City.

Then I got home and the CD case was empty. That's right no discs, thanks I guess to a crafty shoplifter who got the case open before I did. Financial bummer, and I never did get over it. In any case I never bought another CD.

The Last Shirt I Bought: 3 years ago
A Willis & Geiger single eagle (black label) bush cotton long sleeved shirt on Ebay. Probably already 20 years old when I got it, still my very favorite. Still proves nobody makes 'em like they used to.

The Last Pair of Pants I Bought: almost 4 years go
A pair of Willis & Geiger single eagle (black label) bush cotton shorts, also from Ebay. Kinda baggy, but then never meant to be fashionable. Built to last. They're older than Johnny Depp so I guess they have.

The Last Time I Went Out to Dinner: more than 2 years ago
At Nami's out at the marina. Excellent as always, but once you get outta the habit of going out to dinner you realize it was a habit after all.

The Last Time An Elephant Was Born In A US Zoo
Yesterday, July 18, at the Dickerson Zoo in Springfield, Missouri.

Shouldn't make any difference she's not African, but it does. Even though Asian elephants remind me of dairy cows with tusks, I still feel awful about saying it. A great African elephant wav file by clicking here.

Turn your speaks up, close your eyes and imagine he's glaring down at ya from 20 feet away. No point even trying to run, not really.

1 comment:

Jules said...

or not so recent... :OP

-J-