Saturday, July 15, 2006

Wish You Were Here


If you like sci-fi B-movies from the mid-1960s and had your own popcorn, that is.

I've got Planet of the Vampires playing on the DVD with all the lights turned off . Luke's asleep somewhere upstairs, so we could sit back and get real scared (and act like we're not). I had to force myself to hit Pause so I could write this and can't wait to hit POST so I can find out what happens next.

What a great, remarkable overlooked little gem. Alien borrowed heavily from this 1965 Mario Brava effort.

Doesn't even matter that the sets and costumes look silly or that some actors seem to be reciting lines lifted from a thesaurus of English cliches while others stammer through in unknown tongues made worse with bad dubbing.

It's great. It's campy. It's B-movie fun at its best.

2 comments:

genderist said...

B-movies are the best.

Jules said...

I have a big bowl of popcorn upstairs, but I've never seen Planet of the Vampires... I 've seen alot of B rate movies, but not that one! Actually, I'm scared of vampires - they just freak me out... and there's a guy with VAMPYR on his license plate living in my neighborhood. I think I'll move! ;O)